Monday, November 26, 2012

Vegan Mac 'n Cheese

This is my first attempt at vegan mac 'n cheese and it came out awesome! I was surprised at how quick and easy it was to make and was even more surprised at how much everyone loved it!
One of my current obsessions is Brewer's yeast, but my husband is not as big of a fan so I wasn't sure if he would like this dish or not.  Most vegan "cheese" recipes call for nutritional yeast or Brewer's yeast because of its cheesy taste. I didn't tell him what was in it until after he tried it just in case, but this is SO good that I think you could fool many a cheese lover.

I got the idea to make vegan mac 'n cheese and started my internet search for recipes. Many recipes called for silken tofu or cashews or some other ingredient that I didn't have, so I just used the recipes I found as a guideline and here is what I came up with.

Ingredients

  • 1 package of noodles
  • 1/4 cup oil or margerine
  • 2 Tablespoons Bragg (or soy sauce)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1-2 teaspoons agave nectar
  • 2 Tablespoons tachina
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 3 1/2 cups boiling water
  • 1/2-1 cup Brewer's yeast
  • Bread crumbs
  • Paprika


Preheat oven to 350 F.
Cook pasta according to package directions.
In a saucepan over medium heat add oil, Bragg, garlic, mustard, pepper, agave nectar, and tachina. Whisk until mixed.
Whisk in flour & heat until thick and bubbly.
Add boiling water and continue to whisk until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat.
Stir in Brewer's yeast.
Mix sauce and noodles in a casserole dish.
Pour a generous amount of sauce on top. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and paprika.
Bake about 15 minutes until sauce bubbles up and top is browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment